Translate

Friday, January 2, 2015

Quiet Times

"When I discovered your words, I devoured them. They are my joy and my heart's delight, for I bear your name, O LORD God of Heaven's Armies."
-Jeremiah 15:16

Over the years I have had many times when I have spiritually felt overflowing. However there have also been times in my life when I have closed my Bible in prayer feeling dry. As if everything I had just read had just been me fumbling through the pages. I couldn't hear the Lord leading me. I knew He was there, always, but I couldn't feel Him. 

Through these spiritual peaks and valley's I have learned many things. One of the most important it to be persistent. Despite a peak or valley it is important for me to stay in the word. "But he answered, 'It is written, "'Man shall not live on bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God."' (Matthew 4:4) Our hearts long for continual communion with God.
 
It can get difficult to stay consistent in life's busy schedule. Every morning after my quiet time with the Lord I share a verse or a couple of verses with a friend. Sometimes through text, or email, or letters. Not only have I found that this a great way to encourage my friend, but it is also a way for me to keep myself accountable, having a responsibility to uphold. This friend can be a sibling, parents, classmate, kindred spirit, etc.

I have found the best way to study is to go through a book of the Bible, rather then reading a daily devotional book. I do read those as well sometimes. I especially love a devotional I have by Oswald Chambers, "My Utmost For His Highest". What I love about reading through whole books is that I get the whole picture. When choosing a book(s) I will pray, and let the Lord direct. His direction is not always obvious, sometimes He speaks through elders, or friends, or it is just a worldly "accident", or a leap of faith. But what we sees as detours, God see as design. :)

As I am writing I am reading through the book of Romans. I am digging deep into this study, and spending time reading commentaries on Romans, as well as listening to sermons as I do my chores, or clean, etc.. John Piper does an excellent job speaking through this book, I listen to him often. But of course God it the best leader through His word. 

Starting the day off in the word helps to guide me through the day making straight my paths. In those times of busy mornings, and forgetful flesh, however I have had many awe awakening times with the Lord before my eyes close at night as well. The most important thing is to be in the word constantly. 
His word will, and does, change your life. And His word will, and does, change other's lives as well.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!" 
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 

  

No comments :

Post a Comment