Translate

Monday, December 16, 2013

Thor: The Dark World

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
~1 Corinthians 10:31

Thor: The Dark World lived up to many expectations. For me they exceeded the expectations and went just a little too far.  Many people had been counting down the day until this movie would be released, myself included.  As the showing of Thor began I sat in a theater filled with many other anxious enthusiast awaiting the beginning of this new sequel.  

The movie started out on a fantastic note.  As the lights dimmed and the camera rolled I was immediately thrown into an intense introduction battle.  Even though I was quickly tossed into the movie, there was now feeling of being lost or not knowing what was going on.  At this point it was very easy to follow and comprehend what was happening, but you must remember I was only about one minute into the movie.

After dramatically setting the stage the movie continued onto a more familiar scene as the stars of this production, Loki, Thor, and Jane, were gradually introduced.  In the movie it focused on each person’s separate lives before bringing them together.  This was a very wise thing to do, as I was able to identify with each one individually, and feel their emotions before the movie gained too much speed.

Thor himself had a slight change of character in his sequel compared to the original.  In the original movie I remembered him as the arrogant, foolish, stubborn, child, who yearned for war and battle.  When watching the Avengers I began to be introduced to a more controlled, responsible Thor.  In this sequel he has changed from that rebellious, belligerent son to a wiser, more grown-up Thor.  While still the same character, he has more wisdom and strength over his emotions.


As the movie continues and the plot unrolls, they audience escalated into several battles.  It is here that a breech is seen in the walls of mighty Asgard, and one begins to doubt its survival and leadership. I am reminded of Thor’s power; yet wonder if it enough.  It is here that I realize Loki has not changed.  He is a cruel, heartless, person.  I watched in suspense as things began falling apart.

The first heart tripping death occurs.  In sadness, and for some tears, I watched as I believe there is no hope left.  Now two walls have been cracked, Asgard’s and Loki’s.  In this heart wrenching turn of events you realize Loki has a heart. He demonstrates vulnerability, that he has feelings and emotions.  For me this was more scary than the heartless Loki.


As the audience is thrown back and forth between earth and space things start getting more confusing.  What will be the next step?  My hope is now put in the vulnerable Loki.  Things are thrown back on side.  There is hope for Asgard, as plans are made and action is taken again. Friendship is ruling.  As the big battle occurs people, things, feelings, and humor are flying everywhere.  I feel my heart soaring has hits are given.

The battle ends, and as in every drama, I am drawn into a touching scene.  I am surprised as it ends in wonder on who is still left and who is gone.  It does not end on that touching note however, but rather on a much weirder one.  Giving the perfect set up for Thor 3 and Avengers 2.

With everything considered, this movie was great, however there were many things that could be changed for the better.  The humor was good, but often times I thought the attempt to make things funny ended up hurting what was going on.  A lot of the crude humor could have been taken out to make the movie even better.  The movie started out simple and easy to understand, but it did not stay that way.  It is difficult to jump back and forth from earth to sky and not have people lost. Unfortunately, for Marvel they did not accomplish this feat.  As the movie picked up I felt confused, and a lot like Thor’s hammer being tossed around.  Something else that could help was the weirdness level.  It was too weird in too many places.  If they had played down the weirdness level, and crude humor, it would have run much smoother and I would not have been so lost.
      

Overall Thor: The Dark World is a movie worth watching.  This movie was unlike any I had seen.  This movie had so many unexpected turns you never knew what would be next.  There was not a single time I thought I knew what was going to happen next, that I was right.  There are not many movies that can accomplish this, but this one did.  I watched in wonder and awe at each trick thrown in, each direction change.  The stakes are high for the next Marvel movie.

~Hasta Luago Caiman!    

No comments :

Post a Comment