Translate

Friday, October 4, 2013

Fall Cookies (Gingersnap, and Snickerdoodle Recipes Included!)


"Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones."

~Proverbs 16:24

Our church, Antioch Cumunity Church, and another church, Savory Christ Church, are taking part in a ministry called, "Church Under the Bridge."


Here is a link:

It is an amazing opportunity to serve. What happens is, someone from the churches will come and preach, we will have praise and worship, and we will also provide food for any people that come.  On average they usually have about 250+ people come each Saturday night!

We had a sign up sheet at our churches for people to help provide some of the food.  My family and I signed up to bring some baked beans, and cookies.  Baked beans were easy, however the cookies were not as easy for me.  I was incharge of making the cookies.  I decided on the cookies I would make, which was Snickerdoodles, and Gingersnaps.  I quickly found a snickerdoodle recipe I liked, but it took be a long time to find a gingersnap recipe that was just right.  I did however eventually find one. I baked the cookies and they turned out beautifully, they were absolutely delicous.  I will give you the recipes I used, and maybe you will be spared from high, and low searching, and maybe you will be able to use them to minister as well. :) 



Snickerdoodle Recipe:
Yields: 2 1/2 to 3 dozen cookies (I doubled it)

Ingredients:
1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter (one stick) at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 Tbs. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Roll in:
3 Tbs. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper, and set aside.

In a small bowl, wisk together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter for 30 seconds until creamy. Add sugar, and beat until light and fluffy. Add egg, milk, and vanilla. Beat until well combined. 

Gradually pour in dry ingredients, beating after each addition, until well blended. Dough will be slightly sticky, but workable.

In a small bowl combine 3 Tbs. sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon. Shape dough into 1" balls, then roll into cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place on prepared cookie sheet and flatten slightly with the flat bottom of a glass. (I wet the bottom and dipped into the mixture then repeated as needed.)

Bake for about 8 minutes, I set the timer for 5 minutes, and they were useually finnished by then, so watch carefully! Let cool on the cookie sheet for 3-5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack or wax paper to cool completely.
  

They were absolutely delicous, and I hope you love them too!





Gingersnaps:
Yields: 3-4 dozen (I doubled this one too)

Ingredients:
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 Tbs. ground ginger
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses

Rolls in:
1/3 cup cinnamon sugar (I used the same thing I had for the snickerdoodles)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

In a medium bowl wisk together, flour, ginger, soda, sinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer combine shortening and sugar. Mis until light and fluffy. Add egg and molasses. Gradually blend in dry ingredients.

From 1" dough balls. Roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture, and place them on your pepared tray. (For flat not craked cookies use the bottom of a flat cup to flatten them. For puffy, slightly craked cookies rolls the balls in cinnamon sugar mixture and place on tray just as it is.) Bake for 10 minutes, watching them carefully, and cool on wire rack, or wax paper. (Thiner cookies will bake quicker)


I made both the thin, and puffy cookies. I preferred the thin, while others in my family preferred the softer ones. I sprinkled sugar/sprinkles on them. Just watch them carefully while they cook until you get a pattern down. 

I hope you enjoy them! Yum!



No comments :

Post a Comment